If you’ve ever managed people, chances are you’ve had your share of sure-fire leadership successes, along with a few tough missteps and “wish I had knowns” — and probably learned a thing or two from all of three.
In no particular order, here are a few essential threads of leadership wisdom we’ve collected over the years to add to your playbook. Let’s save you from having to figure them out on your own in 2015.
- Your company’s values and your personal values must be compatible.
- Differentiation breeds meritocracy. Sameness breeds mediocrity.
- In a performance culture, actions have to have consequences — positive or negative.
- Creating an environment of candor and trust is a must.
- Attracting, developing and retaining world-class talent is your never-ending job.
- You must distinguish between coachable development needs in your people and fatal flaws.
- Simple, consistent, focused communications travel faster and are understood better by the organization.
- There is nothing more developmental and illuminating than dealing with adversity.
- Over time, you have to develop a real generosity gene — and love to see each person on your team earn raises, get promotions and grow personally.
- Continuous learning is critical for success — make it a priority.
We welcome each of you to add your own favorites to the list.
Cheers to a winning new year and to your constant growth in leadership.
This article was originally published on LinkedIn.